Before you're able to submit a payment, you will need to add a recipient. A recipient is any business, organization or individual you wish to pay.
While completing this process, we recommend having your most recent bill or invoice on hand for easy reference. Most bills will also include the recipient's preferred payment instructions.
This article details how to add a recipient funded by paper check, but ACH (bank transfer), US Domestic Wire, and International Wire recipients may be added as well. All electronic funding options require your account to be verified.
- To begin, click “Add New Recipient”.
- Enter the name of your recipient. This name will appear on the "Payable To" line of the check.
- Choose the country where your payment needs to go. Click “Continue”. Currently, Plastiq only delivers checks to recipients within the United States and Canada.
- If your recipient is already in our system, you may see some potential matches. Large companies will have multiple locations where funds are received so you may be asked to provide or verify the address. This step is to ensure your payment is directed to the correct recipient address.
If your recipient is not yet recognized by our system, you'll be asked to provide their email address and/or phone number to help ensure that your payment is sent to the right place and arrives on time.If one of these matches is viable for your payment, you can jump to "Step 7." If you do not see a match for your recipient, you can still add their information by selecting “Paper Check”.
- Enter the recipient's delivery address.
Refer to your bill or invoice to find the address where your recipient prefers to receive checks. Make sure to enter the address exactly as it should be delivered. This includes apartment or suite numbers, correct postal or zip code, etc.
- Plastiq will provide a suggested address formatting. If you do not select our suggestion, the Plastiq Payment Guarantee is waived.
- You will then be asked to provide details regarding the recipient, such as what goods or services they provide. We will also ask for the business's phone number and email.
- Once you've provided all of the requested information, you will have an opportunity to review the details before saving the recipient listing.
Please note that once you save your recipient, these details cannot be edited at a later date. To change any details about this listing, you would need to delete it and re-add.